Salesforce is a master when it comes to storing an organization’s data related to its marketing and sales campaign for effectively managing the resources based on customer behavior. The Salesforce Junction Objects are a crucial part of understanding the internal functionality of the Salesforce Data Model.
In Salesforce, you can create Many-to-Many relationships by establishing two Master-Detail relationships on the same object. The object on which these two Master-Detail relationships are created is known as the Junction Object.
This guide will give you a clear understanding of essential features of the Salesforce platform and the steps of creating a Junction Object in Salesforce.
Salesforce And Its Features
Salesforce as a CRM platform is best known for its applications and software for Marketing, Sales, Services, Finance, Supply Chain Management, etc. It allows the organization to securely save the data and information of its existing customers and manage the same from various platforms like Chat, Email, and Social Media.
Consider the following features provided by the Salesforce platform:-
1. Salesforce offers Collaboration tools to provide smooth communication between the organization and its multiple teams. The feature makes sure the teams in the organization are informed about all the teams’ progress and work. E.g., Sales Cloud and Chatter.
2. Salesforce allows you to organize the tasks and assign them to the team members, tracking the progress of the tasks, goals, and events simultaneously.
3. Salesforce Dashboard gives you a real-time overview of your business performance. It allows the organization to create and track a detailed report of all the team members.
4. Organizations can easily automate and design business processes using the Salesforce Visual Workflow.
Moving on to understand the Salesforce Junction Object, let us first understand the types of relationships offered by Salesforce.
Relationship Types in Salesforce
Relationships in terms of Salesforce mean how the Objects are connected. Relationships in Salesforce are used to build a connection between the Objects. The Salesforce platform offers the following types of relationships:-
1. Master-Detail Relationship
One Object is considered as the Master and the other as the Detail. If you delete the record of the Master Object, the information of the Detail Object will get deleted automatically.
2. Look-Up Relationship
The Objects in a Look-Up Relationship are connected loosely. It means that if you delete the record of an Object, it will not impact the linked Object.
3. Many-to-Many Relationship
Records of a particular object can connect with various records of different objects and vice versa.
4. Self Relationship
It means an Object is creating a relationship with itself.
5. External Relationship
This field is used to connect the external Object with another external object.
What is a Junction Object in Salesforce?
The Salesforce platform allows you to establish Many-to-Many relationships with the help of Junction Object. Using the custom object called Junction Object, you can link a custom object with many child records and connect each child record to many parent objects. The relationship between the two objects is saved in the Junction Object.
You can create a data subset from a Junction Object and insert data into a Junction Object. But You cannot upsert data into the Junction Object.
In simple words, we can say that the Junction Object is a Custom Object with fields of two Master-Details.
How to Set Up a Salesforce Junction Object?
Suppose there are three Objects named X, Y, and Z. And Z is the Salesforce Junction Object.
1. Sign in to your Salesforce account.
2. Go to the Set Up option from the Home Page and click on it.
3. Go to the Build option and select ‘Create.’
4. You will see a list of Objects. Choose the Object from the list.
5. Select the New Custom Object to create a new Object.
6. Now, create the Object X, and follow the same process for creating the Object Y and Z. Fill in the Object’s name and other details like Label, etc.
7. You will see a checkbox at the bottom that says ‘Launch New Custom Tab Wizard after Saving this Custom Object.’ And Save it.
8. The Custom Object should be visible to all the profiles to implement the Master-Detail relationship.
9. You will have to connect the Junction Object ‘Z’ to other objects after creating all three Objects separately. Go to the Master-Detail field and enter the details of the Object you want your Junction Object’ Z’ to be related to.
10. Give a name to the relationship between Objects when the Objects are connected.
To Sum Up
The guide explained the features and steps of creating a Junction Object in Salesforce. Understanding concepts like these can seem overwhelming if you are a beginner. This is where saasguru comes in handy. In-depth knowledge of Salesforce concepts is crucial to obtaining the certification. So, Sign Up now to get more insights into the essential Salesforce topics and features.
Get certified as a Salesforce Administrator 201 in the first attempt with saasguru.
Use Coupon Code BLOG20 to avail flat 20% discount on saasguru Programs.