In Salesforce, Data Management deals with importing and exporting records and data from/to a Salesforce organization. A data management strategy in Salesforce involves the management of data in the Salesforce database with the help of Data Imports, Data Exports, Data Deletion, and Data Updates.
More and more organizations are relying on intangible assets to create value. That is why understanding a strong data management strategy is essential.
After brushing through the basics of data management in Salesforce, you will be able to explain and differentiate between the options to import and export data. You can export the data from Salesforce either through an automatic schedule or manually. Similarly, data can be imported into Salesforce using Salesforce-provided tools.
Explore the updated admin syllabus, exam pattern, certification cost, registration & preparation tips here – Salesforce Admin Exam Guide.
Two Main Methods to Import Data
1. Data Import Wizard
You can access this tool from the setup menu, allowing users to import data in Standard Objects and Custom Objects. For example, leads, contacts, accounts, opportunities, etc. At any given time, a user can import up to 50,000 records. It gives an easy interface to state the configuration specifications, field mappings, and data sources that collect the field name in the imported file.
2. Data Loader
It can be run either with the help of the user interface or command line. A data loader helps update, insert, and delete operations on the Salesforce database. In the case of the command line, you need to state the field mapping, data sources, and other specifications through configuration files. At one time, a user can import up to 5 million records.
Note the following points on Data Import Wizard:-
- The major import tool, Import Wizard, can manage around 50,000 records.
- It only supports a few standard objects, such as Account, Contact, Leads, Solution, and all custom objects.
- It allows for scheduled exports.
- Delete operation will not be available.
- Duplicates will be disregarded while the import process is running.
In comparison, a data loader is used for the objects that the data import wizard does not support. Data Loader is used for massive imports of over 50,000 records. Note the following points on Data Loader:-
- All objects, both standard and custom, are supported.
- Scheduled exports are not supported.
- Delete operation is available.
- Duplicates cannot be overlooked when importing.
Data Import Considerations
- Use an existing data extract tool for exporting a file.
- Make sure the imported file is cleaned up for consistency and accuracy. It includes removing duplicate data and correcting the errors.
- You should map the data into the appropriate Salesforce field. Compare and validate the data fields with the Salesforce fields.
- Before performing the import, make sure that all the changes needed in Salesforce to manage the imported data are done correctly.
Methods to Export Data in Salesforce
You can use two methods to export data in Salesforce- Data Export Service and Data Loader.
1. Data Export Service
Data export service is accessible through the Setup. It is an in-browser service that Salesforce organizations can use to generate backup files of your data weekly or monthly. Administrators can export an organization’s data into a set of CSV files.
You can use the data export service and follow the below-listed steps to export data:-
- Select the Data Export option from the Quick Find Box by clicking Setup.
- The Export Now option will allow you to export your files.
- Through the Schedule Export option, you can schedule the export procedure for weekly or monthly intervals. Select the date, time, and frequency for your scheduled export.
- Select the required encoding for your export file.
- Select the appropriate option to include images, attachments, and documents.
- Select the type of data you wish to export under Exported Data.
- Click Start Export or Save.
- Follow the link in your email once the data is exported, or click the Data Export option from the settings to get the zip files.
2. Data Loader
Data Loader is a client application that administrators can install on their local machines and use to export data. It can be controlled using either the user interface or the command line. Using the command-line action, automation of the export process can be done by the administrators or they can utilise APIs to integrate with another system.
You can use Data Loader to update, delete, export, or insert the records of Salesforce.
Data Export Considerations
- Attachment cannot be exported using the data loader. The weekly export feature can be used to export attachments.
- To avoid errors, use individual field components instead of compound fields while exporting data through the data loader.
- Administrators can use SOQL relationship queries to also include fields from a related object.
- Nested queries or querying child objects are not supported by the data loader.
- While exporting data, administrators can choose an existing file or select a file. The export replaces the file’s contents if an existing file is chosen.
To Sum Up
This article sums up the basics of data management in Salesforce. To cover the basics of more such topics of Salesforce cert prep, enroll yourself in a Salesforce course with saasguru.
Saasguru gives you many options to add value to your Admin exam prep. You can keep learning all the exciting topics of your cert exam on our platform. There are more such informative blogs, courses prepared by the best Gurus, and a Slack community where you can interact with fellow aspirants.
1. What is data management in Salesforce?
The data management process in Salesforce involves exporting and importing records or data from/to the Salesforce organization. Salesforce has many tools like Import Wizard and Apex Data Loader to provide a smooth data management operation.
2. Why is Salesforce data management important?
Data management is essential in Salesforce because customer data is a crucial part of the decision-making process in every business. Effective data management also protects the organization from data losses, theft, and security breaches.
3. What data management does Salesforce include?
Salesforce data management involves the process of exporting, importing, backup, integration, data quality assurance, and dashboarding and reports. Companies can choose between various Salesforce tools available for data management according to their requirements.