SG: Let’s get started. Why don’t we start from the beginning? Please tell us about your education/ career before entering the Salesforce ecosystem.
FC: I have a background in Business Administration and Management. I’ve been lucky to work for big companies like Apple or Aldi Supermarkets as a manager. I have also worked in B2C, B2B, Next-gen, and traditional industries and even had my own importing business.
SG: That’s awesome. Now we would love to know what was the tipping point when you said, “I want to make this change,” and what was the trigger for that?
FC: It was a mindset change over the course of months, but the trigger was when my wife decided we wanted to have a child. Then, I started thinking more seriously about what I wanted and taking on challenges. That built my drive up to make the changes I needed to make in life.
SG: You achieved many certs along the way. Can you share three things with us?
1. Why do you value certificates?
2. What are the challenges associated with the process?
3. What are your top tips for being successful in cert exams?
FC: Yes, sure.
- I value certs because they show interest in continuous improvement and learning. It shows that a person is teachable and likes to keep the mind active. Also, there is the byproduct of learning new topics, which always helps.
- The main challenge is to put in the hours and show up consistently to prepare. We all run busy lives, and it is hard to have the willpower to take on certs. It can be even harder if you have a family or some personal circumstances.
- My top tips to be successful are:
a. Meta-learning: Learn how you best learn. Keep testing and adapting. Find the best way for you and know how to tackle the challenge in front of you. Make your plan based on that.
b. Use the right resources: There are plenty of options and ways to prepare for certifications, but some are better than others for your needs.
c. Practice: That’s the important tip to get acquainted with the kind and pattern of questions you should expect in the actual exam.
d. Share your knowledge: Help others when you can with what you’re learning. It helps you to memorize the concept even better.
SG: What do you enjoy most about your work as a certified Salesforce professional?
FC: I enjoy the creativity I can put into it, the flexibility and dynamism of the work, making businesses successful and other people’s lives easier.
SG: Time for gratitude!! Finally, is there anyone (individual or company) that you would like to take this opportunity to thank for their role in helping you along your journey? If Yes, what was their role in your success?
FC: My first gratitude goes to my wife, Illa Llinares, for believing in me and providing that push when needed. Also, I must thank Megan Madhavi with Sunreach Consulting for showing me the door to the Salesforce ecosystem and allowing my learning and growth.