Salesforce Lighting Components have made life easy for every business expanding its digital footprints with the help of fluid desktop and mobile applications. Salesforce Lighting has revolutionized mobile application development. It has simple, point-and-click app-building tools so that you do not require in-depth coding knowledge. Instead, what you need to have more is knowledge about your business process and how to digitize it.
By far, Salesforce Lightning provided app developers with the most convenient user interface to build high-performing, responsive mobile and desktop applications. Salesforce Lighting Components offer some amazing tools for developers to build high-quality apps in a very short span of time without coding.
This was the reason Salesforce invented the Lighting platform so that businesses can create a plethora of visually rich applications as per their need and budget. The admins can use Salesforce Lighting components in the Salesforce App Builder to create intuitive customer user interfaces for the application.
In today’s blog post, we will throw some light on the Lightning Components feature of Salesforce. We will start by understanding what exactly Salesforce Lighting Components are, what their usage is, and last but not least, its advantages and disadvantages. As a bonus, we will also introduce you to the Salesforce Lighting Experience, the new generation cutting-edge app-building user interface that has strengthened the sales and customer service of many businesses.
So, let’s start with the usage of Salesforce Lightning Components.
How to Use Salesforce Lighting Components?
The main usage of the Salesforce Lighting Components is building mobile apps that you can host on the Salesforce cloud as well. Lightning Components allow you to customize Salesforce services as per the business requirement. You can use the Lighting Components in Salesforce CRM to have proper coordination between the business, channel partners, and customers.
Here are the steps to build a Salesforce Lighting Component.
- Log in to your Salesforce developer edition org/account.
- Click the “Gear” icon beside the bell notification icon.
- Click “Developer Console.” It will open in a new tab.
- In the “File” option in the menu, hover the mouse over the “New” option, and it will show more options. Click “Lightning Component”
- Provide a “Name” and” Description.”
- In the configuration section, select any configuration of your choice.
- Once done, click “Submit.” Your Lighting Component will be created.
Now let’s learn what the advantages of Salesforce Lighting Components are. Along with its advantages, you should also be aware of its limitations.
Use Coupon Code BLOG20 to avail flat 20% discount on saasguru Programs.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Salesforce Lightning Components
Let’s first look at the brighter side and learn what the advantages are:
- You can reuse all the resources.
- Create various customized pages as per your choice without the indulgence of any third-party vendors and external frameworks.
- Highly responsive in nature, allowing you to fit them on any device.
- Highly event-driven, well-known for delivering fast results during any events and activities from the users.
Now, let’s explore the other side, i.e., the disadvantages:
- If you are new to this concept, you may face some complexity and difficulty while working with them.
- As the Salesforce Lightning Component is fairly new, there are a limited number of out-of-the-box components available.
- It is yet to support all the features.
- The learning and training of Salesforce Lightning Components could take a lot more time compared to the traditional framework, Salesforce Visualforce.
A Brief Introduction to Salesforce Lightning Experience
Salesforce Lightning experience is the brand new user interface that is very responsive and highly intelligent, explicitly built to cater to new-age enterprise-level business requirements.
Salesforce Lightning experience is built by combining Lightning Components, Lightning Design System, a.k.a. SLDS, and no-code Lightning App Builder. It has been very useful to the sales and customer support teams, as the Salesforce experience is built with the help of Salesforce mobile technology.
Salesforce provides a good synchronization between the Salesforce Lightning Experience on desktop and Salesforce Mobile app. This makes the sales team work more efficiently, as they can work on Leads on both platforms, convert them to customers, sell, and close more deals faster with the help of Salesforce Lightning Experience.
Now let’s see some features of the Salesforce Lighting Experience.
- Modern and intelligent user interface backed by cutting-edge technology.
- Salesforce mobile app is built using the Salesforce Lightning experience technology.
- It enables sales personnel to work more efficiently, thereby increasing productivity.
What is a Better Bet? Salesforce Lightning experience or Visualforce?
If you are already using Visualforce, it will be a crucial decision for you to move to Lightning Experience. You should consider moving to Lightning Experience as it provides modern features and will get further enhancements in the future. Let’s take a stab at some points why you should move to the Lightning Experience.
- Salesforce Lightning Components is ideal for mobile app development. Every time the mobile user presses a button on the app, it calls the server. Salesforce lightning can handle this situation more efficiently.
- It is highly recommended to combine the usage of Salesforce Lightning Components and the Salesforce Lightning Experience for the best results.
In the Salesforce Lightning Experience, you can use Screen Flows that help the user through the whole business process. Screen Flow helps to customize the mobile app experience. Using the Lightning App Builder or Developer Console, you can build the app of your choice with the help of custom components as well as standard components.
Lightning Component Bundle
So here are the resources of a Lightning Component Bundle:
- Renderer: Renderer bears the code that is executed before and after rendering your component elements. There are four methods included namely render(), renderer(), afterRender() and unrender().
- Style: Various custom-style classes are included in this resource.
- Component: Html tags and Lightning tags are included in components
Apart from these, there are other vital resources like SVG(Scalable Vector Graphics) and design resources that are used to build the app.
Now let’s drill down on various types of Salesforce components.
Let’s see what the different menus that you can find in the Salesforce Lightning Component are.
- Search Menu: You can use it to search various types of object records.
- Sidebar Menu: When you open the sidebar menu, you can find different utilities like logs, build, and monitor.
- User Menu: This is the menu where you can make changes to your profile.
- Application Menu: You can toggle between different applications with the help of the application menu.
- All Tab Menu: By pressing this menu, you can access all the tabs in Salesforce.
- Tab Menu and More Tab menu: In the tab menu, you can find the required tabs, and if you wish to explore more tabs in Salesforce, you can use the more tab menu.
Use Coupon Code BLOG20 to avail flat 20% discount on saasguru Programs.
Salesforce Components Used in the Flow
Flow is a tool used to automate various business processes. Below are some of the major components used in the Flow.
This component is used to play a series of slides inside the carousel in the Screen Flow.
2. Agent Script Call Scripting
You can use this component to add scripting elements having high visibility.
This component is used for putting confetti on the screen, a little animation to depict a celebration scenario with small pieces of colored paper showering on the screen.
4. Advanced Navigation Button
Also called as Gravity Lab, you can use this component to use various features like Quick Actions and styling.
5. Barcode Scanner
This component enables you to scan barcodes in the Flow that can be used in mobile applications to scan different barcodes.
6. Custom Footer
Use this component in the Flow if you wish to change the labels on the footer buttons.
7. Copy to Clipboard Button
You can copy and paste the content at different locations in Salesforce with the help of this component. It allows you to copy the content in the system clipboard.
8. Controllable Display Text
You can customize the UI of the display text and the URLs with the help of this component.
9. Detect and Launch
Whenever any changes are made in the record, this component helps detect the change and launches the screen.
10. Custom Metadata
You can create and update custom metadata in the Flow screen with the help of CSV files.
11. Data Table
As the name suggests, this component is used to select rows and columns in Screen Flow and insert data into the table.
12. Custom Banners, Headers
You can show custom headers on your Flow screen with this component.
So, that’s it about Salesforce Lightning Components for this post. We learned how Salesforce Lightning Components are effective and the new-age Salesforce Lightning Experience technology in building sleek mobile apps.
We hope you understand the concepts and will be able to apply the knowledge in your business. If you wish to get connected with industry experts and seasoned professionals for further clarification, feel free to join our saasguru Slack community.
Sign up with saasguru, Now!